Want a break from regular hamburgers or is there a good sale on ground lamb? Try these lamb burgers. I combined ingredients from a couple of different recipes to come up with this one we like.
Recipe: Lamb Burgers
- 1 lb. ground lamb
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 c. dry bread crumbs
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped mint
- 1 tsp. seasoned salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 c. finely snipped dried apricots, optional
- Preheat pan, griddle or grill to approx. 350 degrees F.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Use your hands to make sure they are thoroughly mixed, but do not over mix.
- Form either four large patties or 6 – 8 small patties about 1/2 inch thick.
- Place in pan or on grill. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes on each side or until desired temperature.
- Serve with chutney or mint jelly.
I like all my ground meat well done. Too much surface area for bacteria otherwise. However, many people do not like it that well done.
Lamb burgers tend to plump when you cook them; the hot pan/grill will help reduce it, but that is also why you need to cover them while cooking.
You could serve the burgers in a pita or on a toasted bun.
Possible other toppings are Tzatziki, tomatoes, onions, feta cheese, mango chutney, cranberry-walnut chutney, etc.
Cooking time (duration): 10 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 4 – 6