Okay, this pie crust is supposed to be an easy, never fail kind of recipe. Well, I will admit that when I did follow the directions given me by my aunt, my pie crust failed. In my family, we frequently leave out leave out directions that we always do but often don’t think about.
In this recipe, DO NOT USE ALL THE WET INGREDIENTS. Add them incrementally until you get the correct consistency. I usually use about 2/3 of a cup.
Recipe: Never Fail Pie Crust
- 4 c. flour
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 3/4 c. shortening
- 1 tbsp. vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1 c. water
- Mix flour, salt and sugar.
- Cut in shortening. Set aside.
- Beat eggs and water together then add vinegar.
- Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients starting with about a third of the liquid.
- Add additional liquid until you just get the mixture to stick together well. DO NOT OVER MIX.
- Chill well before rolling dough. Use flour sparingly when rolling dough out.
Makes about 5 single pie crusts or two double and one single.
This pie dough freezes well…
To make 3 double pie crusts just increase flour to 5 cups and shortening to 2 cups. You do not need to adjust other ingredients just add a little more of the liquid mixture.