These sweet and sour meatballs have been my “go to” food. It is one of those dishes that I can take to a potluck or other event knowing I probably will not have to deal with any leftovers.
This is a great recipe for an party or a potluck because it keeps well in a crock pot and can be in bite size portions.
However, it also works well in a dinner entree. The leftovers store well and taste great the next day. In fact, I think it tastes better the next day.
Recipe: Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- 5 slices dry bread
- 2 lb. ground beef
- ½ c. grated onion
- ½ tsp. garlic salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- Sweet and Sour Sauce for beef
- Cut bread in cubes.
- Soak in a little cold water until very soft.
- Squeeze out water.
- Combine with remaining ingredients, except Sweet and Sour Sauce.
- Shape in balls the size of walnuts.
- Place in pan and bake at 450 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes.
- Place balls in Sweet and Sour Sauce and simmer for 10 minutes
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1 qt. tomato juice
- 1 c. brown sugar, firmly packed
- ¼ c. vinegar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. grated onion
- 10 gingersnaps, crushed
Baking meatballs on a foil lined baking sheet makes clean up easier.
Gingersnaps can be crushed by placing in a zippered plastic bag and pounding with a mallet or rolling pin or by using a food processor.
Ground turkey or chicken can be used instead of beef.
Meatballs and sauce can be combined in a crock pot and cooked after the meatballs are baked and the sauce has boiled.