One of my mother-in-law’s classic dishes is her veal and peppers. I usually do not make it because of the price of veal. However, it can be made using beef or chicken instead.
I decided to go for it and make it with veal as a comforting treat for my husband after he was very sick for a week. ( Yes, I do think it was sweet of me )
This does make it a nice dish for casual entertaining or a great make ahead meal for a busy week.
This is basically my mother-in-law’s recipe spiced up a bit at my husband’s request.
Recipe: Veal and Peppers
- 1 lb. veal scallopini or chops
- 2 med. green (or red) pepper
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 jar sliced or 1/2 lb. fresh sauteed mushrooms
- 2 16 oz. cans of tomato sauce
- 1 sm to med. sweet onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- sugar, to taste salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste*
- oregano, to taste*
- Slice veal and peppers into bite size, thin strips.
- Saute them in the butter and oil in a hot skillet until veal is lightly browned and peppers are softened.
- Remove from skillet when done and set aside.
- Saute onions, if using, until translucent.
- Add tomato sauce, sugar, oregano, and some salt.
- Bring to soft boil then add the veal and peppers back.
- Add black and red pepper along with additional salt and sugar if needed.
- Cook mixture over med. high heat for at least 15 minutes more.
- Allow to cool some before refrigerating overnight.
- Reheat mixture the next day and serve on Italian or crusty rolls.
Beef or chicken may be used instead of veal.
*Not in the original